Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2013

From couch to 13 point freaking 1...Tinker Bell here I come!








   When I was a teenager spending the summer at my grandparent's house my grandma was reminiscing about me running around in circles in their 4 acre backyard for hours....I was shocked. Something had to have been chasing me. I just don't run. I'd like to, but I don't or I can't...or something of that nature. So she continued to tell me how she loved to run when she was younger because all she ever wanted was to "be free"...so familiar.

.....I listened and replied ,"I'd love to run. I wish I could. I wish I was one of those girls but It's just not my thing." 


*disclaimer my grandma was not sweet little, cookie baking Mrs.Rodgers. She was a fighter, survivor, 23 yr military wife full of sass and wisdom for that matter.

So, she said,"What do you mean? You got legs don't ya?"

No pity for me. You wanna be runner? Ok. Well, then run.
So I did.

   In the last 3 years I have certainly become more health conscious, integrating better eating and fitness habits into my life. Running was one of the aerobic exercises I did. Usually 3 miles, sometimes 5 (at my prime) a couple times a week. Nothing serious....I had about a 5 month period where I pretty much didn't exercise (sad face). It's easy to get off track.
But now I'm back at it but with a different attitude!

I'm not trying to look fit anymore. I am trying to BE fit.


My new focused goal isn't to be "skinny", it's to run a half marathon:] 
say whattttt?

YES. 
I am training to run my very first half marathon.
13.1 miles!
What better way to learn to love your body than to celebrate what it's capable of...


So, in good ole' Amanda fashion I have decided to run my first half marathon at the happiest place on earth.
Disney Land!

Say hello to the Tinker Bell half marathon...






Running for me is a manifest of the resilience and strength that lives inside me....the tangible proof that I am a survivor and I will keep going.
My simple proclamation to the world that I can.

I am so ready to do this! Here goes nothing!

Follow me on my journey from couch to half marathon! I will keep you updated on the training plan, diet, supplements, gear, progress, all the mini races in between and all the ups and downs!


3 comments:

  1. You're a fighter- it's in your blood. So excited for you. Love your grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've run a few Disney races and love them! You'll have so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete